Choptank River Watershed
Environment: Forestry, Energy & Environmental Services
2008 - 2012
Strengthening Education and Outreach for Pollution Control in Maryland
Winrock will provide extension and education programs for the adoption of performance-based incentives that can improve the technical and cost-effectiveness of agricultural nonpoint source (NPS) programs.
- Strengthen extension and education programs for the adoption of performance-based incentives.
- Facilitate the adoption of performance-based incentives in the Choptank River watershed.
- Conduct education and outreach throughout the Chesapeake Bay watershed.
- Understand stakeholder perceptions about performance-based incentives
- Develop extension and education activities for the Chesapeake Bay watershed
- Create a demonstration site for education and outreach in a specified sub-watershed
- Calculate baseline farm-level performance for participating producers
- Offer performance-based incentives to selected participating producers as a pilot-testing of the recommendations developed
- Assist producers in selecting good business decisions for pollution control
- Monitor changes in farm-level environmental performance
- Host field days in the demonstration watershed to educate stakeholders from around the region
- Conduct extension and education activities on performance-based incentives in Maryland and the greater Chesapeake Bay watershed
- Assess project impacts through on-going internal evaluation